Friday, January 10, 2014

Bridesmaid Shirts

I absolutely love all the pictures of bridesmaids and the bride in coordinating tops or robes! Since I am planning on doing hair and makeup at a different location from the wedding site, robes were a no-go. I am also getting married in Phoenix, AZ in May, so it's hot, really hot. Therefore, tank tops were my solution!

What you need:
1. Racerback Tank tops (2 colors- 1 bride, # Bridesmaids) (I got mine from Forever 21 for 2 for $10)
2. Fabric for the bows for bridesmaid tanks
3. Fabric for the bride bow
4. Iron-on decals
5. Iron
6. Ironing board
6. Sewing machine (thread, etc.) or Sewing needle and thread.

I started off making the bows and kept the shirts aside so I didn't mess them up. I learned how to make the bows from this youtube video. The video is only 4 minutes, so just watch it instead of me summarizing. The sound is a little loud when you click on it so just put your volume a little lower. Also, she uses excess fabric from her tanks, we're using separate fabric, so just ignore that part of the video. Here are all of my bows made, it got a little messy while I was making them. Also, a lesson I learned is to not use special occasion fabric. If you can find a jersey type material that would be easiest. The special occasion fabric I used was very delicate and frustrating for a novice sewer.



Next step, iron on those decals! I purchased my decals at Joann's and Hobby Lobby (here's the one I used). If you check their websites they always have coupons for 40-50% off an item. Just a warning, they only stock 3-4 at a time so if you need more, it requires more than one trip. I made a few trips because I only bought them with the coupons so I never paid more than 60% of the retail price. All you need to do is iron them on the shirt! I tried to measure I believe and inch and a half from the neckline, but I kind of winged it. Everyone has different body types so there's no way it would lay on the same spot even if I did do it perfectly.


Then you sew on the bows to the back of the shirt! Which means back to the youtube video. The first one was a little confusing, but then you get the hang of it. I'll explain this one because it took me a couple viewings to understand. (1) Place the bow on the inside part of the shirt (by the tag), (2) take the arms from the strip and put them together around the back of the tank (The seam of the tube should be on the outside (touching your fingers)), (3) sew as closely to the tank as you can without catching the tank across the arms (it is making it into a little ring/loop), (4) cut off the extra tube past your seam, (5) flip the new tube so the seam is against the tank so you can't see it, (5) slide the bow around to the outside of the tank, (6) straighten the bow and you're good to go!

Here are the tanks I made:




And one of my lovely bridesmaids modeling her's:

Getting ready shot day of the wedding





No comments:

Post a Comment